The Worshipful Company of Carmen is one of the 110 livery companies in the City of London and it dates back to 1517. Today it is one of the largest with over 600 members, who are committed to charitable generosity.
The Company represents a wide range of aspects within the transport and logistics sector and continues to promote fellowship among those engaged in the industry and to those from a wider range of disciplines and professions.
We generously support and promote achievement and the advancement of knowledge in the transport and logistics profession through awards, lectures and social activities.
We are proud of our strong fellowship, charitable giving, support for the military forces and service to the City of London as well as the to transport industry and the wider community.
The Worshipful Company of Carmen supports and serves this dynamic profession through benevolence and historic fellowship as we continue to adapt and evolve to meet the challenges of today’s transport and logistics industry.
Visiting spectacular Halls and special venues in the City of London with fellow Carmen is a great opportunity for engaging and networking with others.
Current Master Nick Laister
Elected annually each July by the Court of Assistants and Past Masters, our Master Carman is installed in October and serves in this office for one year. The Master’s Partner attends many events, representing the Carmen as Consort to the Master.
The Master Carman is supported by a Senior Warden and Junior Warden, who also serve one year in office. All are supported by the Court of Assistants and Past Masters who are all elected to office democratically.
The Worshipful Company of Carmen continues to reflect the transport and logistics industry and to serve the City of London as it has done for five centuries.
Each year our five main events are held in some of the finest Halls and buildings that London has to offer. Most of these venues are not generally open to the public so access – through our Livery Company – is a great privilege. HRH The Princess Royal (who was our first female Master Carman) annually attends our events.
Drapers’ Hall one of the most magnificent venues in London
Miss World pays tribute to some of our Carmen scholars
As Carmen in the modern world our principal aims are:
- to promote fellowship among those engaged in the transport trade and wider circle, embracing many professional disciplines and walks of life;
- to fund acts of charity to help those in need, particularly individuals and organisations, ‘giving a little, where a little means a lot’;
- to assist those in need, relieve suffering and fund access to education;
- to recognise and promote achievement and the advancement of knowledge in the transport profession through awards, lectures and other outreach activities;
- to honour, recognise and support the selfless dedication of military personnel through links with the three services, focusing on logistics and support units and making awards to outstanding soldiers, sailors and airmen; and
- to support the governance and civic life of the City of London Corporation.
The Worshipful Company of Carmen continues to serve as an historic fellowship, constantly adapting to meet the needs of today.
We invite you to discover more about who we are, what we do and the people we work with, what it means to do good through the livery and what we are doing to address the issues of the day, by exploring our website.
HRH The Princess Royal presents Ron Dennis CBE with a Carman Award
Carmen encouraging and supporting our future military services